We found a great website that we want to share with all of our wonderful patients who have kids! 2min2x
Here is a sample of what this site offers.
From the website 2min2x.org:
Help your kids brush their teeth 2min2x — 2 minutes each time, twice a day — for healthier teeth, good breath, fewer cavities, and to avoid painful dental problems. The Partnership for Healthy Mouths, Healthy Lives recommends that you help or watch over your kids’ brushing until they’re 8. Once your child’s teeth start to come into the mouth, brush using a children’s toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste in an amount no more than the size of a grain of rice.
- Encourage your kids to brush with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Use a pea-sized dab of fluoride toothpaste for kids ages 3-6, and use slightly more when they’re older.
- Teach them to spit out the toothpaste when they’re done so they don’t swallow it.
- For kids under age 3, as soon as your child’s teeth start to come into the mouth, brush using a children’s toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste in an amount no more than the size of a grain of rice.
- Help your kids place the toothbrush at an angle against their gums.
- Make sure they move the brush back and forth, gently, in short strokes.
- Help them brush the front, back, and top of teeth.
- Teach them to brush their tongue to remove germs and freshen breath. 2min2x.
The Right Toothbrush
Kids should use a soft toothbrush. The size and shape of the brush should allow them to reach all areas of their mouth.
Replace toothbrushes every three to four months, sooner if the bristles are worn out or if your children have been sick. 2min2x
Plaque is a sticky film of germs that forms on teeth and gums after eating. Plaque that’s not removed by brushing twice a day and flossing once a day can lead to cavities.
Baby Teeth and Teething
Baby teeth usually appear when your baby is between 6 months and 1 year old. The Partnership for Healthy Mouths, Healthy Lives recommends a dentist examine your child no later than their first birthday. Besides checking for tooth decay and other problems, the dentist can show you how to clean the child’s teeth properly and how to deal with any issues like thumb sucking. 2min2x.